Homestead Exemption Crunch Time!
If you purchased a home last year and are eligible for homestead exemption but haven't filed as of yet, you better get busy!!! The deadline for most of the southern crescent counties is April 1st! Homestead is a valuable exemption that may reduce the amount of property taxes that you owe provided that you owned and occupied the property as a primary residence as of January 1st. Here are some helpful links and information that you may want to view:
- Clayton County Homestead Exemption
- 121 S McDonough Street, Jonesboro, GA 30236 770-477-3311
- Coweta County Homestead Exemption
- 22 East Broad Street, Newnan, GA 30265 770-254-2670
- Fayette County Homestead Exemption
- 140 Stonewall Ave West, Fayetteville, GA 30214 770-461-3652
- Henry County Homestead Exemption
- 140 Henry Pkwy, McDonough, GA 30253 770-288-8180
- 164 Burke Street, Stockbridge, GA 30281 770-288-7999
If you miss the deadline, don't fret. You can actually file for homestead at any point during the calendar year but it won't applied until the following year. Have questions? Please don't hesitate to call or email us (but remember, we're not CPAs or Attorneys!)
Warning!!! If the homestead exemption was applied to your property when you purchased it (due to the previous owner's filing), it will vanish if you don't apply for yourself. This will then cause the property taxes to increase!! Once you apply for homestead, it applies for the lifetime that you own the property so long as the exemption exists! Don't miss out -- file asap!